Do You have “The Look”?
Do you remember the song, “You got the Look” by Prince? It’s all centered around the interaction of a man and woman focused on outer appearance (check it out on YouTube when you get a chance.) This video was an over the top expression of this surface interaction and the expectations associated with it, but, many of us today are living this way and we may not even be aware of it!
The ‘Look” can be described in many ways, but I want to offer the following descriptions:
- Surface evidence (not sustainable)
- Acceptable and understood by the majority
- Weak; will crumble under pressure
- False peace
The “Lifestyle” can be described as:
- Built by DAILY, intentional actions
- Misunderstood by the majority – “too much work”
- Strong; will flourish under pressure
- True peace
How to Get Over the Look and Live the Lifestyle
So, there are definite steps to take in order to get over the LOOK and live the LIFE. These steps may feel uncomfortable at first, but once you learn the value of self-reflection, this process will become a blessing! Let’s get started! The first 4 steps are questions for you to explore:
- “What do I believe?” – Ask yourself this question in front of a blank journal page. Begin writing down your belief statements. Many times, you will notice how negative and limiting your beliefs really are. But since you are unaware of them, you continue to operate under its influence.
- “Who taught me this belief? – This is NOT a blame exercise. You are acknowledging the origin of a specific belief. If mom taught you that ‘Money is hard to earn!’, write that down.
- “What do I believe about these beliefs?” – This question may seem obvious, but it’s really not! Do you know how frequently we live out beliefs we don’t truly believe in – it’s just HABIT! Here’s an example: “Go to college to get your degree and secure a steady job” may not be your belief, but you do it because everyone else does! You don’t believe in it, but you do it anyway…
- “Does this belief create anxiety in my life or does it foster peace?” – Being the best dressed woman in the room so that you can feel valuable, worthy and relevant is not a peaceful thought. That is fear-based thought! Peace exudes love, patience and ease. So, if you enjoy fashion, do it for the sheer enjoyment you receive from the feel of the fabric on your skin and the confidence your stilettos provide you while walking down the street. These types of thoughts seek to elevate you while never belittling another – see the difference?
So now, let’s SHIFT!
Step number 5 is SHIFT! The questions asked above will begin to reveal the true motivation behind you daily actions. These old beliefs need to be shifted AND elevated in order to live the LIFE of peace you desire each day.
You need to see your beliefs through the lens of possibility! For example:
- “Money is hard to earn!” is a limited belief.
- “Money is abundant and I have access to all I need to be of service to this world!” is a shifted/elevated belief .
Now, you try it! Walk through the steps provided above and leave me a comment on your shift!
Until next time,
Peace and Blessings!